Thursday, April 05, 2007

Cookie time

I once worked with a woman who could be a world-class grouch. On a bad day, rays of evil radiated from her, turning anyone within about 15 feet into a) a whimpering mess; or b) a similarly grouchy grumpo.

She also happened to be my friend, and after I learned the key to her heart (which up to that point seemed likely to be a very small collection of gravel), she became Janus-like, Mr. Hyde-ing the hell out of the populace but always Dr. Jekyll to me, but only if I was armed with:

Peanut butter chip cookies
  • 1 cup (two sticks) butter
  • 1 and 3/4 cups brown sugar
cream these in a large mixing bowl and add:
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 and 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract (yes, tablespoons)
make sure this mixture is homogenous (your hands are the best mixing tool here).
In a separate bowl, sift together:
  • 1 and 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
and stir into the liquid portion. (I use my hands for this, too) Now stir in:
  • 1 and 1/2 cup old-fashioned (rolled) oats
  • One bag (10 or 12 ounces) peanut butter chips (I use Sunspire, but Reese's are OK, too)
I drop these in about 1-and-1/2-inch blops onto cookie sheets and bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes, until nicely suntanned. Makes about three dozen...

Cautionary notes: The cookie "dough" is very undough-like, and may seem to be too runny, but do not attempt to thicken it; it is supposed to be that way. And beware of overbaking.

1 comment:

lulu said...

YUM! I was just thinking about making cookies. Although I think I am going to go with brownies as I have a pound of really good cocoa to get rid of.