Friday, March 07, 2008

A new project

I've had a basket of knitting yarn sitting in the closet for about three years now, and until this week I hadn't touched it, partly because weaving's kept my hands full, and partly because I would have to learn how to knit to use it.

But earlier this week, I bought a knitting loom (about $7 on sale), something I'd heard of from my father, something that sounded like it would make knitting a whole lot easier.

The loom I bought is just a circle with pegs on it:It is quick and easy, though it makes a pretty loose knit. I've found this can be partly counteracted when the hat is washed/shrunk. If you don't mind having a smaller hat, you can get the knit to be tighter with hot water and a bit of dish soap (same thing you'd do for felting, incidentally).

Anyway, here are two of the four hats I've made this week.



My model kindly didn't ask for much in compensation. But he wasn't too keen on trying on the light blue mohair with the sparkles.

1 comment:

Johnny Yen said...

My mother loved to knit and crochet when she was younger. My step-daughter expressed an interest in it recently, and I found myself wishing that my parents lived nearer so my mother could teach her (I live in Chicago and they live in Eastern Tennessee, where I happen to be visiting them right now).