Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Calm down there, tiger

There's a local guy (probably, you have such a guy, too, or maybe a lady, who knows) who advocates for installing rotaries around town. I think his wish is going to come true soon enough at some local interchange or another.

As for me, I like rotaries and roundabouts. I like using them for their intended purpose, and also driving around them a couple of times once in a while, just for silliness or to annoy passengers. I like that with a rotary, you can have a little park-like area at an intersection instead of traffic lights. Sure, it takes up some space, but so what. (p.s. I'm experimenting here, ending my rhetorical questions with a period. I don't think I like it, but isn't that the way it goes.)

Mostly, I like rotaries and roundabouts because they usually make for smooth traffic flow. I have been stuck in traffic a couple of times approaching the roundabout near the liquor store off Interstate 95 in Portsmouth, N.H., but those incidents were not the norm, and I could usually sneak around most of the traffic at the circle just by taking the initiative.

I also like cobblestones, but maybe that's a topic for another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you spoke of rotaries, I couldn't help but think of the scene from National Lampoon's European Vacation where the Griswolds couldn't get left to leave the rotary.

Rotaries are neat, for locals who know where they are going. We have a few in our town. One freeway has their exit ramps go to rotaries which is unusual.

For out-of-towners, they are more difficult because they can't stop to figure out which way to go.