Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Post script on that snowy picture

I shot this photo on the route up to the summit of Mount Moosilauke about a thousand years ago (OK, like, 2003).

I believe that when my friend Brian and I arrived at the trailhead, the temperature was about 15 degrees Fahrenheit. The mountain is tall by New Hampshire standards, about 4,800 feet (I think the timberline is about 4,700, maybe a bit lower), so the summit was much colder. As you can see, snows occasionally falls in the area. The crust was so thick on the trees farther up that they looked like cauliflower.

Anyway, when we cleared the trees, the gale-force wind and the subzero temperatures made for a memorable experience. Cold, but gorgeous, with clear views for miles around. We didn't stay at the summit long. Even well-outfitted, I was cold for hours that day. We did see a group of moose on the way to the mountain, though, the only ones I saw walking around in the five years I lived in the state.

I don't miss the commute, or the endless winters, but I do miss the grim, foreboding mountains and the vicious weather.

2 comments:

Field Notes said...

homesick, eh?

this really is the best time of year to be there, but alas, you can't get therah from heya. R.A.T.S

p.s. I actually though that was a professional stock photo :-) good job honey!

Anonymous said...

Excellent Picture!! Great story, too -

On Monday, I had a fond recollection of hiking up Lost Mine Trail at Big Bend National Park exactly one year earlier. Great way to start my birthday and spend my last moments at Big Bend National Park. No snow, but made for a great view at the top.

I might have to post about that later today.