Friday, June 23, 2006

day of coding

One of the side benefits of being me is the chance to do entertaining odd jobs that are not strictly speaking a part of my job description.

Yesterday (and Wednesday afternoon), that meant revising some of the macros that our Byzantine and antiquated (come to think of it, Byzantine is probably becoming an antiquted term :) pagination system uses to make our jobs "easier."

The A1 index is an example of an item that can be macro-ed, but also one that a template works for in about a quarter the time (hey, these aren't rocket-fueled computers). Guess which one I use? But to learn more about macros, I revised the index, which has lots of little details and tricks.

I'm not sure how much I learned, but I got the hang of the macro thing, so hey, low-cost amusement. Especially because I can see HUGE opportunities for fun and devilment in designing some of the macros. One reason for this is that the programmer can work in little dialogue boxes that pop up when a macro user needs to make a decision. The text of those boxes, as you might have already guessed, is up to me!

No comments: