Monday, March 19, 2007

Observations, etc.

Passed a sign on the local United Methodist Church this morning: "Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is right." OK, that's a paraphrase, but you get the point. I'm not sure what the motivation behind the sign is, but that's a point I have observed some people overlooking. Just because you *can* do a thing doesn't mean you should.

I think the flip side is true, too. Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it is wrong.

What else? Spent a fair portion of last weekend pulling weeds, which got an earlier start than the desired plants in the front yard (and back yard, too, come to think of it). This weekend, I was happy to see the Russian sage plants survived the winter and are starting to show signs of life. Other bits and pieces of the yard are starting to show interest, too. The hyacinth (yeah, yeah, only one), is up and blooming, the trio of tulips is on the way, the pussy willows and the two unidentified trees (crabapples?) are budding, and assorted other odds and ends are making moves (what an illuminating clause that is!)...

So I celebrated by holing up in the studio (aka basement) and putting a warp on the loom (eight damn hours for a four-hour job). The warp's pretty, as are all the warps I put on, but the creel (a spool rack) I built has got to go. It is small, which is necessary, but it is too small and poorly designed for my taste. Klein, aber nicht oho.

On the plus side, I had eight hours to scheme a better design. I can also see some application in building a new creel to another project I'm interested in, which is a sauna. You can buy a kit, but they're expensive, non-customized and expose the buyer to a lot of bullshit. For example:
"Some weight loss authorities believe that our bodies use fat to dilute toxins. As an Infrared LuxSauna is an unsurpassed expeller of toxins, it is also a great way to get rid of any fat our bodies are using to dilute toxins we are storing."
Uh-huh. Well, whatever.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you a dry heat person? Saunas make me kind of dizzy. Steam, on the other hand, rocks. My friends have a steam shower in their house, and it was actually fairly simple to build I think, there's just this Mr. Steam thing, and then the shower. I would kill for one of my own.

Alasdair said...

Well, I like heat wet or dry. I know what you mean about dizzy - I think low blood pressure can be exacerbated by a sauna. But I do like the dry heat (and you can always raise the humidity with a little water), and I like the smell of the wood in a sauna, too.

Now, a steam shower sounds fantastic! Maybe I should do both, side by side. :)