Thursday, April 27, 2006

A roomful of dumb ideas

In May 2004, I wrote about rising gas prices. At the time, the commerce secretary thought maybe easing environmental restrictions governing fuel and refineries could offer some relief. That seemed stupid, and it still does.

It seemed, and still seems, to me that answers to high gas prices for Joe and Mary Consumer are to drive less, get a more efficient car or switch fuels.

It also seems to me that answers to high gas prices for Joe and Mary Lawmaker are to pay for public transportation, raise fleet efficiency standards or subsidize alternative fuel research.

Or, get the hell out of the way and let the rest of us figure it out.

But the ring of idiocy that surrounds Joe and Mary Lawmaker also serves as a sort of microwave oven for bad ideas.

In May 2004, I wrote that maybe a long run of high gas prices is just what we need. I stand by that, but I'm a little concerned at the tax-break and relaxed-standards approaches our idiot leaders and their fuckboy shills are pushing.

This isn't a crisis, it's an opportunity. Let's take it!

No comments: