Thursday, May 04, 2006

Last call for soup?

Well, maybe. The weather's been beautiful here, but still a bit chilly, so I made Himalayan lamb barley soup the other day (not sure if I've already posted on this...):

2 tablespoons butter
1 large yellow onion, chopped
Meat from 1 or 2 lamb shanks, plus the bone(s)
1 1-inch cube ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I have one of those snazzy Zyliss gizmos courtesy of my father, and it kicks butt for this)
2 teaspoons turmeric
3 tablespoons soy sauce (I used liquid aminos because I ran out of soy sauce)
1 cup crushed tomatoes
4 cups stock (I use homemade chicken stock, of course)
1 cup barley
1 box frozen spinach, thawed and lightly pressed

Saute the onions in the butter over medium heat until translucent, then add meat and brown.

Add ginger, garlic and cook for a minute, then add turmeric, soy sauce, tomatoes, stock and barley.

Bring to a boil then simmer until lamb and barley are tender. Add the spinach, heat through and serve.

As you might suspect, this hearty stew is best as leftovers.

No comments: