Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Poachers

Last night's Anderson Cooper segment on mountain gorillas (broadcast on CNN) and today's local story about a horse shot to death in a nearby town remind me, yet again, that I abhor poachers.

Legal hunting of non-threatened species? Not a big deal to me, although I am not sure I'll ever understand the impulse to shoot certain species (bears, coyotes and moose come to mind).

But poaching? I would reserve a special neighborhood in hell for poachers, complete with novel tortures to keep the demons amused. I'm pretty sure summary execution is too kind a punishment, too.

I'll return to sunnier topics soon.

2 comments:

Daphne said...

I totally agree with you about the poachers, we've had someone come into our farm, pass through a shut gate and drive down to the barns to shoot one of our beef steers. I will spare you the details of the crime scene but it was disgusting to say the least... My cousins have had similar drive by shooting incidents with their cows whose pastures border roadways. Anyone who would do such a thing to any animal deserves a fast pass straight to the devil's front door.

But I've heard that some departments of natural resources have robotic dummy deer with big antlers to tempt poachers. When they shoot it, spotlight it or even appear that their intention is to shoot they are busted and given fairly large fines. I heard it even spits out black jellybeans from the rear to simulate the real thing. Never seen the thing in action, but if it really does what they say it sounds awesome.

Alasdair said...

That's fantastic! It would also be handy at a party for dispensing treats :)

I'm sorry to hear about the steer, though. That definitely stinks.