Friday, April 04, 2008

A great quote

One of the many cool things about my job at the newspaper is getting to read zillions of stories I wouldn't necessarily otherwise come across. I think this is a really moving quote, from a story about war photographers gathering at the Newseum:
“When you lose somebody close to you, it doesn’t scab over and heal. A zipper is installed. And anytime you come across the memory, it opens up and all of your sadness falls out.”
- Sherry Potter Walker, whose brother was killed in Laos during the Vietnam War.

1 comment:

Johnny Yen said...

Wow-- that quote is great, and right on the mark.

I've been working on a post about when I roomed with my friend Mark 20 years ago. He was murdered nearly two years ago in a botched robbery. The suspect had a hearing yesterday, and I'm waiting to hear what happened.

The hardest part, I think, has been that over 20 years of great memories of a great guy and a great friendship and hundreds of great times were instantly converted, irrecovably, I think, to sad memories.