Saturday, April 12, 2008

What did you do today?

I was up to a few things...

These kind gentlemen were part of a crew assembling the craft I got to ride in this morning (my first balloon ride).How about this view?
I can see why a balloon ride is on the do-before-you-die list - it was an unparalleled experience, hard to describe. The sensation was like the moment after you do a flip turn in the pool and are coasting/surging out for the next length, only the view is much, much better.

Quasi-evidence it was me up there:
If you're a reader of the Union-Bulletin, you can look for a column about the ride in the Balloon Stampede tabloid, and also a photo feature (with not these shots) in an upcoming Panorama.

Also, what I've been up to on the loom lately.
I got the gold silk I used in the weft of this scarf as a throw-in with my new-to-me loom. It is a Wow! yarn for sure.

5 comments:

PG said...

Looks like a beautiful view. I went hot air ballooning two years ago. The wind was too strong. The landing involved us being dragged through several farmers' fields, taking out a couple of trees and a lot of screaming. So, I think I've had my fill of hot air balloons. But, I think it's something everyone should try at least once.

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you invite me???

Alasdair said...

Sorry yours was a bad trip, psychgrad. I could easily see how less-than-ideal conditions would be, um, troublesome. I noticed, though it didn't matter, that there are a hell of a lot of power lines, everywhere.

Anon, well, you were too far away! Maybe.

PG said...

No no...it was a good trip. Just the landing scared the crap out of me.

Alasdair said...

Well, you know what they say: A good landing is one you walk away from. An excellent landing is one you walk away from, and the equipment can be used next time, too.

I'm glad you made it home. At least you got good time in the air :)