Monday, January 08, 2007

What's in your spice rack?

Mine is a cabinet, because I want to keep the light away.

Lower shelf
  • Worcestshire sauce
  • Mirin "sweet cooking rice wine"
  • red wine vinegar
  • seasoned rice vinegar (two varieties)
  • one cellophane package of nori
  • olive oil (bought in bulk, stored in a bear for honey)
  • double-action baking powder
  • baking soda
  • corn starch
  • dried chilis (little skinny ones - that's hot!)
  • chili oil
  • molasses
  • rose water (from Tunisia)
  • Spike, regular flavor
  • Spade-L seasoning for beef
  • garlic salt
  • mustard powder (I can't remember the last time I bought prepared mustard)
  • "California style" lemon pepper
  • "Chesapeake Bay style" seafood seasoning
  • Chinese 5-spice
  • demerara sugar, some in a silver sugar bowl and some in a plastic container
  • chicken bouillon cubes (I like chicken bullion, but they don't take it at the store)
  • cocoa powder (whoops, almost typed coca powder, and I don't think I have that)
  • two mortars and pestles
  • Two sets of measuring cups, plain Pyrex for 1 and 2 cups wet and pretty robin's egg blue ceramic for 1, 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4 cup dry.
Upper shelf
  • lavender salt
  • dried oregano
  • dried basil
  • saffron (also from Tunisia)
  • harissa, sans olive oil
  • caraway
  • dill seed
  • Dalmatian rubbed sage (I think that should be rubbed Dalmatian sage, but I can see why it isn't)
  • sesame seeds
  • summer savory
  • celery seed
  • dried lemon grass
  • bay leaves
  • white poppy seed
  • paprika
  • ground marjoram
  • sea salt
  • pepper
  • coriander
  • cumin
  • turmeric
  • fennel
  • cloves, whole and ground
  • cinammon, sticks and ground
  • ground ginger (I also have a bunch frozen)
  • cardamom, plain and (I think) smoked
  • nutmeg (and snazzy grinder)
  • cayenne powder
  • chili powder
In other storage areas
  • sea salt
  • 2 pounds honey (I think it's a spice, too, in a way)
  • extra nutmeg, turmeric, bay leaves, coriander, molasses
  • vanilla, almond and mint extracts
  • nuoc mam
In the fridge
  • harissa
  • wasabi
  • tapatio
  • sambal oelek
  • ketchup (hey, that's a seasoning!)
'choo got?

2 comments:

MWR said...

Just when I thought Dalmatians were useless . . .

Alasdair said...

Well, fire station dogs are really only useful as a way to make people show they can't spell well. I don't know how many times I have seen Dalmations running rampant through stories...

Let's see: The "seafood seasoning," alas, isn't J-O or Old Bay, but I tend to use seafood as an ingredient rather than as the star of the show...

Combining your comments, however, I do know a large (and growing) Newfoundland who wants to eat seafood. Maybe that counts in some way?