Monday, January 08, 2007

What's in your spice rack?

Mine is a cabinet, because I want to keep the light away.

Lower shelf
  • Worcestshire sauce
  • Mirin "sweet cooking rice wine"
  • red wine vinegar
  • seasoned rice vinegar (two varieties)
  • one cellophane package of nori
  • olive oil (bought in bulk, stored in a bear for honey)
  • double-action baking powder
  • baking soda
  • corn starch
  • dried chilis (little skinny ones - that's hot!)
  • chili oil
  • molasses
  • rose water (from Tunisia)
  • Spike, regular flavor
  • Spade-L seasoning for beef
  • garlic salt
  • mustard powder (I can't remember the last time I bought prepared mustard)
  • "California style" lemon pepper
  • "Chesapeake Bay style" seafood seasoning
  • Chinese 5-spice
  • demerara sugar, some in a silver sugar bowl and some in a plastic container
  • chicken bouillon cubes (I like chicken bullion, but they don't take it at the store)
  • cocoa powder (whoops, almost typed coca powder, and I don't think I have that)
  • two mortars and pestles
  • Two sets of measuring cups, plain Pyrex for 1 and 2 cups wet and pretty robin's egg blue ceramic for 1, 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4 cup dry.
Upper shelf
  • lavender salt
  • dried oregano
  • dried basil
  • saffron (also from Tunisia)
  • harissa, sans olive oil
  • caraway
  • dill seed
  • Dalmatian rubbed sage (I think that should be rubbed Dalmatian sage, but I can see why it isn't)
  • sesame seeds
  • summer savory
  • celery seed
  • dried lemon grass
  • bay leaves
  • white poppy seed
  • paprika
  • ground marjoram
  • sea salt
  • pepper
  • coriander
  • cumin
  • turmeric
  • fennel
  • cloves, whole and ground
  • cinammon, sticks and ground
  • ground ginger (I also have a bunch frozen)
  • cardamom, plain and (I think) smoked
  • nutmeg (and snazzy grinder)
  • cayenne powder
  • chili powder
In other storage areas
  • sea salt
  • 2 pounds honey (I think it's a spice, too, in a way)
  • extra nutmeg, turmeric, bay leaves, coriander, molasses
  • vanilla, almond and mint extracts
  • nuoc mam
In the fridge
  • harissa
  • wasabi
  • tapatio
  • sambal oelek
  • ketchup (hey, that's a seasoning!)
'choo got?

3 comments:

Daphne said...

"Chesapeake Bay style" seafood seasoning ???

What exactly is that?

Is it J-O? OLD BAY?

Having grown up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, those are the only two real options.

If they aren't in your cabinet they should be, there are no substitutes :o)

I'll be happy to ship samples if you want me too! I can't have my friends cooking with inferior seafood seasonings! *grin*

MWR said...

Just when I thought Dalmatians were useless . . .

Alasdair said...

Well, fire station dogs are really only useful as a way to make people show they can't spell well. I don't know how many times I have seen Dalmations running rampant through stories...

Let's see: The "seafood seasoning," alas, isn't J-O or Old Bay, but I tend to use seafood as an ingredient rather than as the star of the show...

Combining your comments, however, I do know a large (and growing) Newfoundland who wants to eat seafood. Maybe that counts in some way?