Friday, November 30, 2007

Hey, post 500

I guess that's halfway to a cliche of some sort.

We're undergoing a major overhaul of our hardware and software at work, from pretty much the stone age to super up-to-date.

To wit: My PC (say no more, eh?) has a floppy drive, no USB port and uses, like, Windows NT. The software we design news pages with won an award in 1998, I believe, the year before we installed it, during my first tour at the local paper. I just can't say enough about the old system, mostly because I am trying to cut back on swearing.

On the flip side (literally, almost: I have both computer on right now), we are trading in the old for snazzy 24-inch iMacs (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, etc.) with the latest Adobe creative suite.

So, from totally nontransferable and junky old stuff to the leading edge of life in newspaper publishing. Hooray!

No comments: